1 cup rolled barley, ground
3 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp masala chai powder
1 tbsp ghee
1/4 cup black raisins
2 medjool dates, chopped
1/4 cup ground black sesame
1 tbsp orange blossom water
Pinch of salt
Honey to taste
1. Begin by grinding 1 1/4 cups of rolled barley in a vitamix or spice grinder.
2. Heat the coconut milk and masala chai, with the pinch of salt, in a saucepan.
3. In a medium sized skillet melt the ghee on medium heat. Once hot, add the raisins and date pieces, stirring until the raisins have plumped and the dates have softened slightly.
4. Add the black sesame and stir, toasting it in the ghee and dried fruit mixture for a minute. Add the ground barley and stir, mixing and toasting the mixture.
5. Once well combined and slightly roasted, begin adding the coconut milk mixture, stirring and incorporating cup by cup. Adjust the amount of coconut used depending on the desired consistency. Once the preferred amount of liquid has been absorbed, mix in the tablespoon of orange blossom water, and it is ready to serve.
6. Once slightly cooled, add the honey and top with some crushed dried rose petals and enjoy!
For the Tulsi-Ginger Rose Tea, simply add a teaspoon of tulsi leaves with a couple of pinches of rose petals and a couple of slices of fresh ginger to a small tea pot or a tea steeping ball/strainer in a cup. Add a cup of boiling water, steep for 3-5 minutes.
See the video on Instagram @carrie.lavie